General Business Degree
The General Business Program provides individuals with foundation educational training and skills in general business principles, procedures, and operations. Get prepared to enter the workforce, or expand your options and move forward in your business career with confidence!
Upon the successful completion of the required courses and general education requirements with a minimum 2.0 G.P.A., an Associate in Science in General Business degree will be awarded. Required courses include either Introduction to Financial Accounting and Introduction to Managerial Accounting, or General Accounting; plus, Introduction to Business; and one more. The electives range from Business Mathematics, Computerized Accounting, Office Procedures, and Business Law to Introduction to Human Resources Management, among others.
An associate degree in general business offers you the salary potential of $37,619 two years after graduation from Taft College, with expected increases to $50,400 by five years, based on five-year studies of graduates by California Community Colleges. These do not reflect salaries with a four-year degree.1
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), overall employment in business and financial occupations from 2021 to 2031 is expected to increase by seven percent, resulting in about 715,100 new jobs. Due to workers permanently leaving their occupations, more will be available. On average, about 980,200 openings each year are projected from both sources. The median annual wage for business occupations is $65,000.2
1 California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office. Salary Surfer. 2021. https://salarysurfer.cccco.edu. Accessed 19 April 2023.
2 “Occupational Outlook Handbook.” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. 8 Sept. 2022. www.bls.gov/ooh. Accessed 19 April 2023.
To earn an Associate in Science in General Business, students must complete: (1) all course requirements with a minimum grade of “C” in each course; and (2) complete General Education Graduation Requirements with an overall GPA of 2.0 or better.
See the degree requirements in the Taft College Catalog. Please note: This links to an external website.
Program Learning Outcomes
After completing the General Business program major, a student will be able to:
- Apply legal and ethical constraints of management to specific business situations.
- Integrate contemporary business practices and technologies to make effective decisions across many business scenarios.
For More Information
- Academic Division: Business, Arts, Humanities
- Administrative Services: Associate in Science Degree
- Administrative Services: Certificate of Achievement
- Administrative Services I: Certificate
- Administrative Services II: Certificate of Achievement
- Advanced Information Technology and Management: Certificate
- Business Administration: Associate in Arts Degree
- Business Administration: Degree for Transfer
- Liberal Arts Emphasis Business and Technology: Associate in Arts Degree
- Management: Certificate of Achievement
- Management: Associate in Science Degree
- Management-Customer Service: Certificate
- Microsoft Office Applications: Certificate
- Visit Meta Majors: Match your interests and career choice to the best academic program.