Business Administration Degree for Transfer
The Business Administration Program is designed for students interested in business with a variety of options from certificates for enhanced employment to associate degrees; for entry level positions and transfer courses; for those interested in an advanced degree. This Program is the foundation in accounting and economics, and students apply the methodologies to assess fiscal and monetary policies in the marketplace.
The Program offers:
- Associate in Science in Business Administration Degree for Transfer detailed here.
- Associate in Science in Business Administration (locally approved degree)
An associate degree in business administration for transfer offers you the salary potential of $34,453 two years after graduation from Taft College, with expected increases to $51,145 at five years, based on five-year studies of graduates by California Community Colleges. These do not reflect salaries with a four-year degree.1
Careers are diverse and typically require a minimum of a four-year degree in business administration. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual wage is $77,250 for accountants and auditors; $95,570 for financial analysts; $99,290 for administrative services and facilities managers; $126,230 for human resources (HR) managers; $126,230 for lawyers; and $98,420 for elementary, middle and high school principals. The BLS projects job growth from 2021 to 2031 of five to seven percent for accountants, auditors, HR managers, and principals. Job growth projections for financial analysts and lawyers are much faster than average, at nine and ten percent, respectively.2
1 California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office. Salary Surfer. 2021. https://salarysurfer.cccco.edu. Accessed 19 April 2023.
2 “Occupational Outlook Handbook.” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. 8 Sept. 2022. www.bls.gov/ooh. Accessed 19 April 2023.
Degree for Transfer
The Associate in Science in Business Administration degree for Transfer (AS-T) provides a clear and direct route for students to transfer to a California State University (CSU) to pursue a baccalaureate degree in Business Administration or related field. Ed Code Section 66746-66749 states that students earning the Business Administration AS-T degree will be granted priority for admission as a Business Administration major to a local CSU, as determined by the CSU campus to which the student applies. The study of business administration prepares students to enter the job market with the ability to identify and solve business problems. Coursework provides a solid base of theory for understanding fundamental business aspects, starting with the basics, and emphasizing a foundation in marketing, advertising, management, human relations, finance, communication, writing, business law, and international business.
See Taft College’s Transfer Center. Our Transfer Admission Guarantees include many other schools. Check with your Counselor to see if this degree can transfer to other four-year schools.
While a baccalaureate degree is recommended preparation for those considering careers in business, the completion of the curriculum will satisfy both an interest and a commitment to further studies at the upper-division level. A business degree will prepare students for a variety of careers including, but not limited to accountant, analyst, banker, budget analyst, business consultant, entrepreneur, financial planner, human resource manager, operations manager, public relations specialist, public sector manager, recruiter, retail store manager, sales representative, school administrator, and office or department supervisor.
This curriculum provides foundational studies in accounting, economics, law, math, and business administration for those students seeking to continue their studies in business administration at the university level. Completion of the Program guarantees transfer to the CSU system with junior standing. Additionally, students shall be deemed eligible for transfer into a CSU baccalaureate program when the student meets both of the following requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarters units that are eligible for transfer
to the CSU, including:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtain a minimum grade point average of 2.0. There are no local requirements associated with this degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
Business Administration 2.0
Students are awarded an Associate in Science in Business Administration degree for Transfer after demonstrating a level of mastery at the Associates of Science level in each of the following program goal areas and successfully completing general education requirements at Taft College. Students completing their course of study will be able to:
- Use theory and applied methods to problem-solve in diverse business situations and as a foundation for advanced study.
- Utilize current technology to analyze, prepare, and present information both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate a fundamental understanding of socio-cultural, legal, and ethical situations to recommend practical alternatives
For More Information
- Academic Division: Business, Arts, and Humanities
- Business Administration: Associate in Science Degree
- Business Administration: Associate in Science Degree for Transfer
- Economics: Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer
- Liberal Arts - Business and Technology: Associate in Arts Degree
- Mathematics: Associate in Arts Degree
- Mathematics: Associate in Science Degree for Transfer
- Visit Meta Majors: Match your interests and career choice to the best academic program.