Associate Degrees for Transfer

Transfer Admissions Guarantee (TAG)

Taft College students who are awarded an Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) or an Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) have a transfer degree with a guarantee to enter:

  • California State University (CSU) system
  • Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU)
  • University of La Verne
  • University of California (UC), select campuses and programs


See our Transfer Center webpage for more details about our Transfer Admissions Guarantee (TAG) and the HBCU list of 21 schools. Also, review the Transfer Planning section of the Taft College student course catalog.

Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act (Senate Bill 1440, now coded in California Education Code sections 66746-66749) guarantees admission to a California State University (CSU) campus to any community college student who completes an “associate degree for transfer,” an established variation of the associate degrees traditionally offered at California community colleges. The AA-T or AS-T is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus.

Students should consult with a counselor when planning to complete the degree for more information on university admission and transfer requirements. Any variations to the transfer degrees may not result in a guaranteed admission to the CSU system. If you are CSU- or University of California (UC)-bound, be sure the units in the electives will transfer to the receiving college or university. 

For out-of-state schools, other universities, or independent colleges, check with those schools to see what units they will accept. You can check with the Transfer Counselor if you have any questions. Check out Transfer Planning in the catalog. UC-bound students are encouraged to check with the UC Pathways website. Students should check with their counselor to determine the most appropriate general education pattern to follow. The Counseling Center hours and contact information are below.

Available Degrees for Transfer

Taft College offers the following Associate Degrees for Transfer: 

Requirements for Transfer to a California State University

The AA-T or the AS-T is granted upon successful completion of all courses in the degree. The following are required for all associate degrees for transfer to the CSU system.

  1. Completion of a minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
  2. A minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 (C) in all CSU-transferable coursework; those are courses numbered 1500 and above. Note while a minimum GPA of 2.0 (C) is required for admission to a CSU, some transfer institutions for certain majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with the transfer counselor and transferring institution for details. Students are advised to check on for the most recent information.
  3. Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in AA-T or AS-T major courses, as detailed in the section of the catalog under Degrees and Certificates. Please see a counselor for more information.
  4. Certified completion of the California State University General Education (CSU GE) Breadth or Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) for some majors. Students pursuing an Associate Degree for Transfer in Biology are eligible to take IGETC for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics), deferring two lower-division general education courses until after transfer. Students may delay one general education course in Area Three (Arts and Humanities) and one general education course in Area Four (Social and Behavioral Sciences). It is strongly recommended that students consult with a counselor to determine which is the most appropriate general education pattern for their individual educational goals.

Visit the Transfer Center