English Degree for Transfer
The Associate in Arts in English degree for Transfer (AA-T) is designed to prepare students to transfer to a California State University (CSU) as a junior with a degree in English. The English major gives students an appreciation of literature and increased skills in written and oral communication. Through the study of language and literature, students are better able to communicate, to persuade, and delve deeply into the arcane mystery of being. More specifically, superior ability to understand and to use English is necessary for success in most careers, particularly those in education, writing, business, journalism, and law.
See Taft College’s Transfer Center. Our Transfer Admission Guarantees include many other schools. Check with your Counselor to see if this degree can transfer to other four-year schools.
An associate degree in English for transfer offers you the salary potential of $17,086 two years after graduation from Taft College, with expected increases to $31,011 at five years, based on five-year studies of graduates by California Community Colleges. These do not reflect salaries with a four-year degree.1
Career options are across a wide spectrum of fields. Careers typically require a minimum of a four-year degree. Your career may be directly related to your degree or outside of the field because of the knowledge, skills and competencies you acquire. The following options with wages are only a few of many.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the mean annual wage is $46,010 for proofreaders and copy markers; $48,370 for news analysts, reporters, and journalists; $60,660 for fundraisers; $61,820 for high school teachers;$63,350 for editors; $69,510 for writers and authors; $82,680 for postsecondary English language and literature teachers; $127,990 for lawyers; and $133,380 for advertising, promotions, and marketing managers.2
1 California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office. Salary Surfer. 2021. https://salarysurfer.cccco.edu. Accessed 19 April 2023.
2 “Occupational Outlook Handbook.” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. 8 Sept. 2022. www.bls.gov/ooh. Accessed 19 April 2023.
- 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California
State University, including both of the following:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtain a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
There are no local graduation requirements associated with this degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
After completing the English for Transfer major, a student will be able to:
- Write clear and coherent compositions.
- Create evidence-based arguments.
- Evaluate expository and literary texts.
- Support original interpretation of literary texts.
- Analyze forms of literary texts.
- Use cultural contexts to comprehend texts.
For more information
- Academic Division: English and Language Arts
- Liberal Arts - Communications: Associate in Arts Degree
- Visit Meta Majors: Match your interests and career choice to the best academic program.