Elementary Teacher Education Degree for Transfer
The Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education degree for Transfer provides a clear and direct route for transfer to upper division work in the Liberal Studies or Integrated Teacher Education major allowing students to develop and master the knowledge, skills, and values foundational to teaching school-aged children.
This Associate in Arts degree provides a solid foundation in the theory and practices used in the study of humanity. The curriculum includes the study of a variety of subject matter that crosses all aspects of curriculum establishing foundational knowledge in all subject areas, which is necessary for multi-subject education.
This curriculum provides a solid foundation upon which to build a Liberal Studies or Integrated Teacher Education major at a four-year school. The degree guarantees transfer to a California State University (CSU) as a junior.
See Taft College’s Transfer Center. Our Transfer Admission Guarantees include many other schools. Check with your Counselor to see if this degree can transfer to other four-year schools.
For elementary school teachers, except special education, the median annual wage is $61,400, with a job outlook of four percent growth annually between 2021 and 2031, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Over the decade, they project about 120,300 openings for kindergarten and elementary school teachers each year, on average.1
1 “Occupational Outlook Handbook.” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. 8 Sept. 2022. www.bls.gov/ooh. Accessed 19 April 2023.
To earn an Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education degree for Transfer, students must complete: (1) all course requirements with a minimum grade of “C” in each course; and must complete the General Education Breadth pattern for CSUs with an overall GPA of 2.0. There are no local graduation requirements associated with this degree.
Additionally, students shall be deemed eligible for transfer into a CSU baccalaureate program when the student meets both the following requirements:
- Completion of a minimum of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible
for transfer to the CSU, including both of the following:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtain a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students are awarded an Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education transfer pattern after demonstrating a level of mastery appropriate to the associate in art level in each of the defined goal areas and successful completion of general education requirements.
After completing the Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer major, a student will be able to:
- Create meaningful learning experiences based on subject matter.
- Demonstrate effective verbal, nonverbal, written, technological, and media communication skills through the exchange of ideas and information with instructors, peers, and others.
- Engage in self-reflection and use this knowledge to analyze past experiences and develop plans for improvement.
- Demonstrate skills required in the field of education including: maintaining accurate records (such as attendance, lesson completion, and progress); use of questioning and discussion techniques to support learning; and observation and performance of common educational practices in classroom settings (such as lecture, grading, class management, instructional demonstration).
- Model cordial and cooperative relationships with others that contribute positively to supporting a diversity of learning styles and activities.
For More Information
- Child Development Associate Teacher: Certificate of Achievement
- Child Development Assistant Teacher: Certificate
- Early Childhood Education: Degree for Transfer
- Early Care, Education, and Family Studies: Associate in Science Degree
- Early Care, Education, and Family Studies: Certificate of Achievement
- Early Intervention Assistant I: Certificate of Achievement
- Early Intervention Assistant II: Certificate of Achievement
- Elementary Teacher Education: Degree for Transfer
- Master Teacher: Certificate of Achievement
- Teacher: Certificate of Achievement
- Visit Meta Majors: Match your interests and career choice to the best academic program.
All links below go to external webpages on the Taft College Catalog website.