Occupational Safety and Health Midlevel Certificate of Achievement (Locally Approved Certificate)
The Occupational Safety and Health Certificate is a locally approved certificate geared toward providing training and education in various aspects of health and safety within Oil and Gas, Energy, Construction, Manufacturing, and other industries. It is ideal for those wishing to learn more about California Occupational Health Safety Health (Cal OSHA) policies, expectations, and requirements. The program will also be ideal for health and safety officers at places of business and industry, safety trainers and teachers, operations managers and supervisors, and field staff, among others. Course requirements for this Certificate are listed below.
This program also offers an Associate in Science in Occupational Safety and Health (formerly Industrial Health and Safety) and Occupational Safety and Health Basic Employee Safety in General Industry Certificate.
An associate degree in Occupational Safety and Health offers you the salary potential of $51,113 two years after graduation from Taft College, with expected increases to $96,978 by five years, based on five-year studies of graduates by California Community Colleges. These do not reflect salaries with a four-year degree.1
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) for 2021, the median annual wage for occupational health and safety specialists was $77,560, and $51,120 for occupational health and safety technicians. They project overall employment of these positions to grow five percent from 2021 to 2031. In California, according to the BLS, the median annual wage for general and operations managers was $113.080.2
1 California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office. Salary Surfer. 2021. https://salarysurfer.cccco.edu. Accessed 19 April 2023.
2 “Occupational Outlook Handbook.” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. 8 Sept. 2022. www.bls.gov/ooh. Accessed 19 April 2023.
Occupational Safety and Health Midlevel Certificate of Achievement (Locally Approved Certificate) course requirements link. Please note: This link and all links for courses, below, go to the Taft College Catalog, an external website. Plan to return to the Taft College website.
|Course Number||Course Name||Credit Hours|
|OSH 1500||Occupational Safety and Health Compliance||3.00|
|OSH 1532||Industrial Hygiene||3.00|
|OSH 2058||Occupational Safety and Health Standards for the Construction Industry/OSHA 30 hour Construction Ind||2.00|
|OSH 2061||Occupational Safety and Health Standards for General Industry/OSHA 30 hour General Industry Training||2.00|
|OSH 2065||Trainer Course in Occupational Safety and Health Standards||2.00|
|Total Credit Hours: 12|
For More Information
- Academic Division: Career Technical Education (CTE)
- Energy Technology: Associate in Science
- Energy Technology Instrumentation: Certificate
- Gas Tungsten Arc Welding: Certificate
- Gas Metal Arc and Flux Core Arc Welding: Certificate
- Industrial Electronics: Associate in Science
- Occupational Safety and Health (OSH): Associate in Science
- Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Basic Employee Safety in General Industry: Certificate
- Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Midlevel: Certificate
- Petroleum Technology Well Control and Drilling: Certificates
- Pipe Code Welding: Certificate of Achievement
- STEM Programs (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)
- Structural Code Welding: Certificate of Achievement
- Welding Assistant/Helper: Certificate
- Welding Technology: Associate in Science
- Visit Meta Majors: Match your interests and career choice to the best academic program.