Direct Support Education: Certificate of Achievement
This one-year Direct Support Education: Certificate of Achievement Program is designed for those students interested in seeking employment working in the field of developmental disabilities. Upon successful completion of the required courses with a 2.0 grade point average (GPA), or pass (P), a certificate of achievement will be awarded.
The Program also offers an Associate Degree. See below in the For more information section.
Direct Support Education: Certificate of Achievement course requirements link. Please note: This link and all links for courses, below, go to the Taft College Catalog, an external website. Plan to return to the Taft College website.
|Course Number||Course Name||Credit Hours|
|DS 1501||Introduction to Disabilities||3.0|
|DS 1502||Disabilities and the Law||3.0|
|DS 1503||Introduction to Medication Support||3.0|
|DS 1504||Cultural Competency Towards Disabilities||3.0|
|DS 1505||Teaching Individuals with Disabilities and Dealing with Challenging Behaviors||3.0|
|DS 1506||Safety Advocacy and Maltreatment Prevention||3.0|
|Total Credit Hours: 18|
To receive a Teacher Permit from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing a student must complete 175 days of three+ hours of experience per day within four years. Students must also successfully complete 16 general education units.
For More Information
- Direct Support Education: Associate in Science
- Direct Support Education: Certificate of Achievement
- Disability Services: Associate in Science
- Early Intervention Assistant I: Certificate of Achievement
- Early Intervention Assistant II: Certificate of Achievement
- Visit Meta Majors: Match your interests and career choice to the best academic program.