Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a difference in the services I received in high school and those that I can receive in college?

In High School; services, modifications or accommodations may have been identified and provided by the school. Colleges are required to provide “equal access” to education. Equal access is usually provided through reasonable accommodations authorized by DSPS. College coursework cannot be modified to change the fundamental nature of the course. The college student is responsible for requesting accommodations and discussing the authorized accommodations with his or her instructors.

What is documentation of a disability?

Documentation varies depending on the disability.  Examples of documentation might be a recent psycho educational assessment report, a letter from a licensed doctor or mental health professional.  DSPS faculty can assist you in determining specific documentation.

How do I get an accommodations card?

Students must complete the intake process and be determined to be eligible for DSPS services. DSPS faculty will determine and discuss accommodations with the student. An accommodations card will be issued to the student. The student must discuss with DSPS faculty accommodations for each semester and a new card is authorized.

Will other Taft College faculty and staff know I have a disability?

DSPS is required to maintain documentation that students in the program have a verified disability.  This documentation is not shared with other staff or faculty nor does it become part of your academic record.  If communication is desired between faculty and student, DSPS can assist the student. However, the ultimate goal is for the student to be assertive and comfortable self-advocating by the time they leave Taft College.

Do other colleges have DSPS? 

If a college accepts federal funding, it must have a program that assists students with disabilities in accessing their education.  However, programs may not be called DSPS.

I am taking all my courses online, can I still use my accommodations?

Yes! You must have an active accommodations card (remember to get a new one every semester).  Scan your card or take a photo of it and email the image to your instructors. As with face to face courses, you will need to discuss the accommodations and work out the arrangement for them with the instructor.  DSPS faculty can assist you with your approval.

Why do I need 2 contacts?  

Contacts include any appointment with a DSPS faculty member and may include use of the High Tech lab and Testing Center. Meeting regularly with DSPS faculty is encouraged to discuss how your accommodations are working and how classes are going.  DSPS funding is also based on having 2 contacts per academic year with students in the program.

Is there a fee for DSPS services?

Services are provided free of charge to registered and eligible students in DSPS. Equipment needed for accommodations is loaned free of charge to students when it is authorized as an accommodation by DSPS faculty.

Can DSPS services be terminated?

Failure to follow the written policies and procedures as outlined on the Academic and Accommodations Education Plan (AAEP) may result in suspension or termination of DSPS services.  The DSPS Coordinator will notify you in writing of the violation and a meeting will be requested with the DSPS Coordinator.

How do I file a complaint?

Taft College DSPS faculty are here to assist with any concerns a student has regarding access to their education and accommodations.  Call (661) 763-7799 to schedule an appointment.

If you believe that you have been discriminated against because of your race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex or religion, for more information visit the Office of Civil Rights website