When should a student apply?
Diploma status students may begin the application process at 17 years of age. Certificate status students may begin the application process at 20 years of age.
We highly recommend that candidates for the Transition to Independent Living Program and their families take a tour of campus facilities before submitting an application.
For a student to be considered for the TIL Program, you must take the following steps:
- Complete an on campus tour.
- View the Entrance Criteria for the TIL Program before proceeding.
- Complete the TIL Application Packet.
- After the application and all required documentation has been received, the file will then be submitted to the Screening Committee.
- The student must complete a 1st interview.
- The student must complete a 2nd interview.
- Final consideration/acceptance will be contingent on the completion of intake paperwork that a student receives after the 2nd interview.
The evaluation interview is necessary to assist the interview committee in determining whether the program would be an educationally appropriate and least restrictive environment for the applicant. The interview also serves to assess the applicant’s motivation level, response to instructions, acceptance of supervision, ability to relate to others, and potential for graduating from the TIL program. Applicants will be notified within one month after the first interview if they have been placed on the second interview list. Placement on this list means that the applicant has the potential of being accepted into the TIL program. A letter of acknowledgment will be sent to the student.