PREREQUISITES AND SELECTION CRITERIA
Taft College accepts 20 qualified students into its Dental Hygiene Program each fall semester. There are minimum admission requirements that all applicants must meet in order to be considered for acceptance into the program.
The application period for the class beginning in the fall 2024 semester is mid-January to the end of February. Designated dates are included in the application, once posted.
As of the 2024 application period…
- All program prerequisites must be completed by December of the prior year. Applications submitted to enter fall 2024, must have all prerequisites completed by December 2023.
- No in-progress prerequisites are accepted. All prerequisite courses must be successfully completed with a “C” or better before submitting an application for fall 2024.
- All prerequisite *science courses must be completed by 2018 or later to meet the five (5) year recency requirement.
- A two-semester combination Anatomy and Physiology course may be substituted for the Anatomy and Physiology requirement. A one-semester survey course is not acceptable.
*Five (5) year recency requirement: All completed prerequisite science courses must be completed within the previous 5 years of application
*All sciences prerequisite courses must include a “wet laboratory” component whether it is offered in person or online with take home lab kit or hybrid. A lab must not be entirely virtual. The Dental Hygiene Board of California (DHBC) defines a “wet lab” in the California Code of Regulations (CCR), Title 16 (16), section 1103(ai) as: “Wet laboratory” is a term used to distinguish classical benchtop experiments handling biological material from computer analysis or other theoretical work. All applicants will be required to submit proof of “wet lab” experiences during science courses taken after January 1, 2022.
The selection criteria is applied to those applicants who have met minimum program requirements.
There is a cumulative total of 200 points possible in the following categories:
- GPA in prerequisite coursework (50 points)
- Cumulative GPA in all college coursework (45 points)
- Number of units completed at Taft College (40 points)
- Progress towards the completion of general education requirements for the Associate Degree, or CSU Breadth or IGETC certification (20 points)
- Attainment of a degree (20 points)
- Related work experience (25 points)
Contact the Counseling Center at (661)763-7748 for additional information.